Saturday, April 2, 2011

Welcome to the Promised Land!



About a year ago, Mark informed me that I was not a "true Mormon mom."  Whaaaaat????  Okay, I don't have vinyl lettering in my house, nor do I tote those file folder quiet book things around, but I make my kids take piano, have the Mormon minimum of 3 kids (actually I surpassed that minimum!), and I recently acquired my first piece of stamped jewelry with my family members' names on them, so how was I lacking?


Two words...


Homemade bread.


I couldn't bake a proper loaf of homemade bread.  If it turned out, it was by freak accident.  I made very flat loaves, or wrinkly topped loaves, but not the kind that your visiting teacher brings on your birthday!


My mom tried to intervene and bought me a bread machine.  Even following those directions perfectly didn't give me good bread.


Finally, I came across this recipe:


Wheat Bread
Ingredients:
1 cup warm water (110-115 degrees F)
1 tablespoon milk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons instant active dry yeast (active dry yeast will work also) 



Instructions:
1. *Combine first 6 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; stir.
2. Add flours and yeast, and knead until dough is smooth and elastic, about 10-15 minutes. Place dough in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover with a clean towel and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
3. Punch dough down; knead for a few minutes until smooth and then form into a loaf. Place in greased loaf pan and cover. [more info on loaf pan sizes] Let rise in a warm place until almost doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes. If loaf starts browning too soon, lightly lay a piece of foil on top of the loaf to prevent too much darkening.
5. Remove bread from oven and allow to rest in pan for a few minutes. Remove to a wire rack and cover with a cloth. Slice and enjoy while still warm!

(Courtesy of TheIdeaRoom.net)

I worked on it by hand and found that it was almost failproof.  Then i adjusted for my Zojirushi breadmaker and now I put the ingredients in at night, and we enjoy hot bread in the morning!

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Whoo Hoo! Now you're legit.

XOXO Dr. Kay Elizabeth said...

Hi please visit my blog... medchooldream.blogspot.com. Thanks for stopping by, I need as much help as I can get and feel free to pass along my information :)