Friday, December 12, 2008

Hoofin' it to Christmas

In July, the girls and I ran a 1-mile fun run in Provo. It was so fun and we talked about doing it again during the Gilbert Days Festival or the Mesa Turkey trot. However, I was little turned off at having to fork over $60 to do this and end up with a crappy t-shirt.

Armed with my email list, I invited all the kids I could think of to participate in the 1st Annual Reindeer Run. Mark scouted a location where we would not cross any streets, driveways, parkways, etc. Ava and I made chest numbers for each participant and bought candy canes for the finishers. We had more than 30 kids, plus their parents hoof it with us.




Mark had to run to the turn-around point to make sure the kids turned around and left Mia running alone. She panicked and started to cry at the sight of her dad leaving her in a trail of dust. A girl in our ward, Ivy, took her by the hand and ran the rest of the way with her. They would stop to walk then start to jog again. Mia was so grateful and drew a picture of the two of them running that we delivered the next day.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

s said...

Alexis,
What a great idea! I may have to steal this one....