Friday, July 3, 2009

"I changed by not changing at all"

On Monday evening, Mark and I went to the Maui Arts & Cultural Center to attend a solo concert by Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam. I have loved his music since his haunting voice first blared from KILO 94 (rocks Colorado!) in the early 90's. Back then, I dug flannels out of my dad's closet as an ode to the grunge rock and wore one while removing the Poison poster from the door to my room.




He played his new music from Into the Wild, interspersed with old favorites. Some of the songs evoked memories from my past, acting almost as a soundtrack to my life for the last 20 years. His performance of "Betterman" caused me to stifle a giggle as I remembered being crammed into a friend's car screaming down Overton Road during the Pueblo and East High days.

The crowd sang along to "Last Kiss" a song that takes me back to BYU, trying to make sense of a Chemistry major and having the most incredible romance with Mark. (How fitting to be at his concert 10 years and 3 kids later!) I remember flipping through Mark's CDs on one of our first dates and exclaiming how much I LOVED Pearl Jam.

"You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" takes me to the condo in Provo, starting our family and wild adventures with Leslie.

I had a moment there. Thanks Eddie (and Mark).

I seem to recognize your face.

Haunting familiar, yet I can't seem to place it.

Cannot find the candle of thought to light your name.

Lifetimes are catching up with me.

All these changes taking place.

I wish I'd seen the place but no one's ever taken me.

Hearts and thoughts they fade. Fade away.


I swear I recognize your breath.

Memories, like fingerprints, are slowly raising.

Me you wouldn't recall for I'm not my former.

It's odd when your stuck upon the shelf.

I changed by not changing at all.

Small town predicts my fate.

Perhaps that's what no one wants to see.

I just want to scream hello.

Oh my go[sh] its been too long.

Never dreamed you'd return.

But now here you are and here I am.

Oh, hearts and thoughts they fade away.

[Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town]
from the Vs. album. Go YouTube it. You won't regret it.


One more thing... Eddie Vedder is quite outspoken when it comes to politics. He's good friends with Sean Penn, for crying out loud. Anyway, the playbill is filled with articles about the war, Darfur and other liberal ideals. Mark and I looked at each other with wide eyes, asking each other, "What are we doing here?" Most of the crowd were 30ish from Paia (think 60's San Fran crowd). Eddie and the crowd went crazy when Eddie said, "We're in the home state of the incredible President of the F****** United States." I whispered to Mark, "Don't tell anyone we voted for the other guy..." (Erica, I can hear you sigh all the way from New York.)

That was the only outburst of the concert, and all was forgiven by the next song.

3 comments:

broadwayer said...

Ha! Yes, a deep sigh was released :) But mostly your post made me remember our obsession with the Pearl Jam song "Black" - I remember lying on your bed singing that song over and over again! Happy Birthday Ava! xoxo

Co Co B said...

double sigh over here ;). pj brings back oh so many high school memories for me. i am going to see them in sf at the end of august and i can't wait.

katie said...

again! i am jealous. i love the eddie veddar. i went to a pretty sweet coldplay concert a few weeks ago... what a fun date though. good for you :)