Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Leap

There is an old stone pier that juts out from the beach we regularly attend. We regularly hike over the large lava boulders along a rusted chain link fence to stand on the pier and look for turtles. Last week, I decided it would be fun to leap from the pier, which stands about 10 feet above the water's surface.




(The boulders you hike along. Ava lost a slipper down here, major drama)
This took some logistical planning because we have 3 kids who need supervision while their mother acts like a teenager. The whole fam hiked out to the pier and peered over the edge.
Mark decided to take a "safety" leap, ensuring there was nothing dangerous below the surface. After he surfaced, Ava decided that she wanted to leap too. Without a moment's hesitation, she jumped off the rock. In the millenium's biggest surprise, Mia then leapt off the rock. That move stunned us all. The jumpers swam to shore, than back across the rocks to relieve me of Layla so I could take my turn.

(Mark's jump)

(Ava's jump, stupid delay on the point and shoot camera, so I missed it. Mia's shot is even worse, so I didn't bother with the post)

I curled my toes over the edge, took a deep breath, and froze.
Nope, couldn't do it.
The fam started counting down.
I wasn't budging.
It was so far down!
With the image of my Mia in my mind, I stepped off the cliff and enjoyed an exhilirating descent into the water.

(Me jumping, nose plugged just like I'm eight years old)

The next day, we all took another leap, even Mia..

2 comments:

Jenson Family said...

That's soooo fun! Way to go! I can't believe your girls were soooo brave!

Mary said...

ok so it's 10pm and my boys and I are looking at these pics. they thought it was funny that you plugged your nose al. they have loved all these pics of your family and we miss you even more.

love, Benman,Dall and me