Thursday, March 20, 2008

You are all going to hate me...

..but...

I really did not like the Twilight series. Okay, I did like the first book, and I thought Jacob was the best part of the second book. I felt obligated (I also felt obligated to see all three Star Wars prequels, and the LOTR trilogy) to read the third book and was so relieved when it was OVER!

This is why I did not like it: I thought Bella was WAY too dramatic. Puh-lease, the atrial fibrillation with every kiss, and the clumsiness, and the drama. I guess I was like that at 16, but at 30 I want common sense and a good sense of gravity in a main character.

Now that you have all started mentally composing your comments and prepared to remove me from your links list, just know that I will probably see the movie and read any sequels or her new "adult" series. Just know that the universal love being proclaimed across the blog world really doesn't extend to here. Anybody with me on the drama part?!?

7 comments:

Amanda said...

I, too, thought Bella was a bit dramatic. I actually didn't read any but the first book. After reading reviews for the second one I didn't bother reading further. I'd probably give other books of hers a try though. We'll see! Have fun in Hawaii! I'm so jealous.

annelisa said...

Sorry Al, but it's not over! The fourth and final book comes out in August. I hear her new book coming out in May is better than the Twilight books.

Jenson Family said...

hmmm... not with you on this one, but I'll still leave you on my "links" list, okay? Only because we've been friends through the thick and thin of it all! :) Oh well.

The Lindsays said...

I'm with you a little?! I really loved the first book and I only just recently finished the second. The second book was slow for me, and I agree, Jacob was a one of the better parts. I admit they are most definitely brain-candy books, but those are usually the only ones I read because I fall asleep too quickly with much else?! Do you have any recommendations on other good books?! BTW...I don't dislike you for having an opinion?! ;-)
Alicia

s said...

I was laughing out loud at your twilight comments! What a strange wave these books are causing. We actually read one for our book club with many 50+ women. A few shared your opinion. I have to admit I LOVED the series and have already pre-ordered the fourth. AND I will be seeing the midnight showing of the movie with my I LOVE EDWARD T-shirt. Well, probably not that last part. Just goes to show how grounded you really are, Al!

Ashlee said...

Hi Alexis! I am totally with you on the drama!! It drove me crazy, which is why I have always voted team Jacob. But, despite the stupid drama and the fact that I was reading about love with a werewolf and a vampire, I still couldn't put them down. Dang it!

Rose said...

You are in good company with the your feelings about the drama etc. My entire RS bookclub felt the same way - with the exception of me - I thoroughly enjoyed escaping into a silly teenage overly dramatic 'love' story for a few days. ;)