Thursday, June 26, 2008

Seeing my friends on $4 per gallon!


This is one of my oldest "married" friends, Leslie Jenson, and her third girl, Layne. (We planned to have 3 girls all at the same times) We went swimming last Friday at Veterans Memorial Pool in Provo. They built a really cool children's splash area but the highlight was being able to take Ava down the tower water slide. I have never been to a pool that lets you do this, but since people in Provo seem to have 6 kids under the age of 4, they have to bend rules a little.
Leslie's sister in law, Shera Payne, was there with her four kids too. I was her oldest daughter's (now age 8) nursery teacher in the good old Grandview 2nd Ward. She didn't remember me! What, I had to sing every song and fingerplay known to man to get her settle down and she doesn't remember that effort!

The girls and I in the UT sun. Mia got sunburned waiting in line to pay to get in. Gotta love it!
I guess Utah public pools had big problems with people getting sick from contaminated water so they basically want us all to wear swim diapers in the pool. They have safety checks every two hours where the pools are cleared. It was a great idea, but I was sooooo nervous about letting Layla even get one toe wet!


On Monday night, we drove to Heber to see Mary and Scott Porter and her family at the Porter's cabin. It turns out that Mark's Grandma and Grandpa Merrill used to own the cabin two doors down. We had fun seeing the Porter boys, Dallin, Ben & Isaac.

Mary's brother-in law is the cousin of one of my chemistry buddies, Diana Smith. We remembered each other after talking it over. See when you are a chem major, your classes are a little low on cool people and all the chemical fumes make you a little batty. I got this idea that it would be cool to know a random phrase in as many languages as possible. So I learned to say, "I love naked sheep" in about 15 languages. This was the one thing he remembered and I about fell off my chair. The BYU days really were fun.

My parents are in town and have taken the two older girls two days in a row!! (Hence the long post!)

5 comments:

Hanson Crew said...

How fun...you gotta love places designed for family friendliness :)

Jenson Family said...

That was soooo much fun! We will try to see you guys again.

Amanda said...

Hooray for naked sheep. I still remember that too. I took Ella down a waterslide the other day. I had to drag her on it, but in the end she thought it was fun.

annelisa said...

Me gusta ovejas desnudas. Those were the days!

Cyndi said...

Alexis, you are way to funny. I love to read your posts. Sounds like you guys are having a great time in Utah. Enjoy the weather all you can, it's hotter than you know what down here in AZ. We can't wait to get to the cooler weather. Have a great 4th & tell Mia "HI" for me.